Magento 2 API – What it is & How to Use it? [Complete Guide]
Magento 2 API is pretty useful to make use of this robust eCommerce platform into different other applications such as mobile app development. If you are developing an online shopping app for a Magento website, you may require to have the complete know-how of different Magento 2 APIs.
Table of Contents
- What is Magento 2 API?
- Features of Magento 2 API
- How to Get Started with Magento 2 API
- List of All Magento 2 APIs
There are plenty of online guides and resources available for using Magento 2 APIs, but they may still leave you with state of confusion while practically implementing them. This article covers complete details you may require about Magento 2 web API and how to get started with it.
What is Magento 2 API?
Application Programming Interface (API) can be defined as an intermediary software that facilitates two applications to connect. The best example of API is using an instant messaging app or checking out weather on mobile phone. With the help of API, the data can be easily received, processed, and sent back to the users.
Mobile applications uses APIs to connect and interact with other servers over the internet for processing data. Here, the application sends the data in a standard format, the receiver processes it, and sends back relevant data to the application in the same standard format.
API in Magento 2 can be defined as a structure that facilitates integrators and developers to use web services for communicating effectively with the Magento system. It can be referred as a software intermediary that allows connecting the application or software with the store. The user calls for an API request for the required data via the intermediary software, and retrieves information from the Magento system, if the request is accepted.
There are endless practical applications of Magento 2 APIs. Listed below are few of them.
- Developing a mobile shopping app with Magento 2 integration.
- Integrating third-party CRM or ERP tools with Magento 2.
Features of Magento 2 API
- Mainly, Magento supports 3 types of APIs:
- The Magento 2 Web APIs work using three different types of authentication, which are listed below:
- Token-Based Authentication: At the time of initial connection, username and password are provided in case of token-based authentication. The tokes received are used for the authentication of the API requests until they get expire.
- Session-Based Authentication: This type of authentication in Magento 2 APIs is the most simplest one, which uses sessions to authenticate the API requests and validate them.
- OAuth-Based Authentication: The OAuth-based authentication type uses uses authorization tokens instead of passwords to validate the API requests from the users to the service providers.
- There are three different types of Magento 2 API users:
- Guest User: These type of users have access to resources through anonymous permission.
- Admin User: The admin users have authenticated their identity through login credentials and have the highest level of configuration rights.
- Customer: Such users can have easily have access to resources either by themselves or through anonymous permission.
How to Get Started with Magento 2 API
To get started with Magento 2 web API, you must get a web service registered on Magento admin. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to enable the web services and use APIs in Magento 2.
Step 1: Create a Web Services User
Head towards System > Permission > All Users > Add New User for creating a new web services user in your Magento 2 admin panel to use the token-based authentication. You can skip this step for other types of authentications.
Step 2: Create a New Integration
Now, to create a new integration in Magento 2, go to Systems > Extensions > Integration > Add New Integration. Ensure that the resources which the integration can access are restricted.
Step 3: Configure Authentication
To configure authentication, use the REST or SOAP API.
List of All Magento 2 APIs
Magento 2 APIs are helpful for developing and integrating third-party apps with the platform. We have compiled a complete list of the Magento 2 APIs that you might need to develop a mobile app and provided complete guide to use them.
Here we go!
- Magento 2 API – Get Admin Token
- Magento 2 API – Get Store IDs, Names, and Codes
- Magento 2 API – Get CMS Page Content
- Magento 2 API – Get All Categories
- Magento 2 API – Get All Products
- Magento 2 API – Get Product by SKU
- Magento 2 API – SearchCriteria
- Magento 2 API – Get All Available Currencies
- Magento 2 API – Create New Customer
- Magento 2 API – Get Customer Token
- Magento 2 API – Reset Customer Password
- Magento 2 API – Create Cart & Add Products to Cart
- Magento 2 API – Set Shipping & Billing Information
- Magento 2 API – Create Order
- Magento 2 API – Create an Invoice
- Magento 2 API – Create Cart Price Rule
- Magento 2 API – Create Coupon Code
Magento 2 is a robust and powerful eCommerce development platform that supports three different types of APIs, providing a flexibility to integrate it with other applications. The Magento 2 APIs make it easier for the developers to integrate the eCommerce platform with other applications and web services. This introductory article provides complete details to get started with the Magento 2 API.
Any queries? If so, do not hesitate to cite them in the comments section below. I’d be happy to help. 😊
Also, do share the article with the Magento community via social media. Stay tuned! 😃
Thank you. 🍀
Improve the business efficiency, automate data flow, and connect your applications by using custom PHP APIs.