How to Delete Shopify Account Permanently
Maybe you are having a hard time managing your Shopify account and thinking about leaving the Shopify business for good to put an end to paying monthly subscriptions.
Do not worry, Shopify allows you to delete your account permanently.
Here is a complete step-by-step guide on how to delete Shopify account permanently.
Quick Steps to Delete Your Shopify Account
- Step 1: Sign in to Your Account
- Step 2: Navigate to Settings > Plan Tab
- Step 3: Confirm the Deactivation of Your Shopify Account
- Step 4: Specify The Reason For Deleting Your Shopify Account
- Step 5: Permanently Delete Your Shopify Account
Things You Should Know Before Deleting Your Shopify Account
Permanently deactivating a Shopify account only takes a few minutes. But, you must consider the following things before you permanently delete your Shopify account:
- Settle Your Outstanding Bills: This one is pretty much obvious. To permanently close your Shopify account, you must clear all your outstanding bills. If you are on the Shopify trial, it is also advisable to cancel your free trial before deleting your account.
- Take a Backup of the Store’s Data: Deleting your Shopify store permanently does not mean you will require none of the data from your store in the future. It is advisable to back up your Shopify store before you delete it permanently.
- Cancel All 3rd Party App Subscriptions: Cancel all the subscriptions to the 3rd party apps before you delete your Shopify store to avoid deductions of the monthly subscription fees.
- Remove Custom Domains: If you have purchased a custom domain from Shopify, you can transfer it to other domain registrars or cancel it. If you delete your Shopify account without removing the custom domain, it can give you a hard time using it for another site in the future.
Step-by-step Guide on How to Delete Shopify Account Permanently
Do you have a question in your mind like — How do I Permanently Delete My Shopify account? 🤔
Just follow these steps carefully and delete your Shopify account:
Step 1: Sign in to Your Account
Go to Shopify.com and log into your account.
Step 2: Navigate to Settings > Plan Tab
Now, go to Settings > Plan tab in your Shopify admin, where you can find details about your current plan, next billing date, and a button to deactivate your store. Click on the Deactivate Store button.
Step 3: Confirm the Deactivation of Your Shopify Account
Confirm the deactivation of your store by clicking on CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION AND DEACTIVATE STORE.
Step 4: Specify The Reason For Deleting Your Shopify Account
Select the reason for permanently deleting your Shopify account from the drop-down menu. If you cannot find an appropriate reason, select Other reason, specify the reason and click on the Continue button.
Step 5: Permanently Delete Your Shopify Account
This is the final step to permanently delete your Shopify account. Enter your credentials and click on the Deactivate now button.
Congratulations!! You have successfully deleted your Shopify account permanently. 🐱🏍
Note: Shopify will save your account data for 2 years in case you wish to re-open your store or need any information in the future.
Deleted Shopify Account. Now, What Next?
Now, you’ve successfully deleted your Shopify store. If you are looking to make a fresh start on the same platform, you can follow our Shopify launch checklist for a successful store launch. And, if you are thinking about other eCommerce platforms to start your journey again, check out our list of the best eCommerce platforms to use for your business. 🚀